Rose Hip Syrup
11 September 2013
- Bring 1.5 litres (3 pints) of water to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Mince 1kg (2lb) of rose hips and place immediately in boiling water.
- Bring them to the boil, remove from the heat, and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a scalded jelly bag and leave until almost dry; then return the pulp to the saucepan; add 0.75 litre (1.5 pints) of boiling water; and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain.
- Mix the two juices. Pour them back into the saucepan and boil rapidly until reduced by about half – the mixture should measure about 1 litre (1.75 pints).
- Add 0.5 kg sugar and boil for 5 minutes; then bottle and sterilise.
One thought on “Rose Hip Syrup”
I’ve just made this recipe – fantastic. A bit messy but worth it, and most people are probably not as messy in the kitchen as me! Karen B.